Accountant - General Ledger
Assists in the operation of the Business Department, evaluates financial processes and supervises professional and clerical personnel in the performance of various accounting functions.
Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in accounting, finance or related field
CPA and TASBO Certification preferred
Knowledge of Texas Education Agency (TEA) Financial Accountability System Resource Guide
Knowledge of applicable State of Texas and United States government and government agency compliance requirements
Knowledge of governmental accounting and auditing principles established by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
Experience with a strong knowledge of Oracle 12 financials applications
Ability to analyze and interpret financial data, evaluate accounting problems, develop data, and recommend improved procedures
Ability to use software to develop complex accounting reports, spreadsheets, and databases
Effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Three (3) years accounting experience at a high level of responsibility
- Prepare, record, and summarize financial data in accordance with governmental accounting principles and district procedures.
- Compute and prepare data for journal entry.
- Prepare income statements, balance sheets, and other reports.
- Review transactions submitted by Proprietary Funds Accountant and Curtis Culwell bookkeeper.
- Prepare and record monthly journal entries.
- Balance Sheet and Income statement reporting, analysis and reconciliation.
- Prepare schedules, reports and other information for the auditors.
- Record investment transactions including wire transfers.
- Maintain escheatment files.
- Analyze monthly property tax reports.
- Work with administrators, principals, directors, and staff regarding accounting issues.
Records and Reports
- Prepare timely audit schedules and financial statements according to federal, state, and GASB standards.
- Compile, maintain, and submit all reports, records, and other required documentation, including auditable records, and financial statements.
Supervise, evaluate, and recommend the hiring and firing of the Proprietary Fund Accountant and Bookkeeper.
Standard office equipment including personal computer and peripherals
Prolonged sitting; occasional bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Repetitive hand motions, frequent keyboarding and use of mouse; occasional reaching
Occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds)
May work prolonged or irregular hours
Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress