Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
Valid Texas Teaching Certificate with physical education endorsement
Knowledge of overall operations of an aquatic program
Knowledge of state and UIL policies governing athletics
Ability to interpret policy, procedures and data
Ability to manage budget and personnel and coordinate district function
Strong communication, public relations and interpersonal skills
Five (5) years successful teaching and coaching experience
- Promotes an environment that will allow patrons to pursue excellence in aquatics education, competitive swimming and diving, fitness and recreation.
- Promotes an environment that is safe, friendly and inviting.
- Sets a standard of coaching, instructional and performance excellence for the entire aquatics staff.
- Directs all coaches, teachers and instructors in the development of their program.
- Sets measurable annual goals for athletic, academic, and public programming and facility improvement.
- Represents the district’s aquatics program in a positive way to the public, other school districts, the UIL and other related organizations.
- Assists with planning and conducting needs assessments related to athletic operations.
- Responsible for recruiting, interviewing and coordinating the addition of new aquatic sports coaches to the district.
- Meets regularly with staff in individual and group sessions.
- Develops individual and staff professional development plans.
- Counsels coaches on UIL rules and eligibility.
- Supervises coaches, teachers and instructors, ensuring that they are teaching the same technical fundamentals and are operating within district policies.
- Provides for at least one complete, annual evaluation of every staff member.
Administration and Fiscal/Facility Management:
- Supervises the preparation for the overall aquatics budgets for submittal to the director of athletics.
- Approves procedures and personnel for ticket sales, security, officiating, cash management and internal accounting.
- Develops an environment that stimulates academic and athletic excellence.
- Develops a safe, friendly and inviting atmosphere.
- Develops policies and procedures that teach student safety, respect, discipline, responsibility and leadership.
- Emphasizes a “student-first” environment.
- Coach GISD high school swim teams.
District Organizational – Community Relations:
- Articulates to the public the ways in which the Department of Athletics supports the mission and goalsof GISD.
- Participates in community activities and organizations that foster rapport and mutual respect between GISD and the community.
- Assumes a position of leadership in local, state and national aquatic organizations.
Professional Growth and Development:
- Seeks, accepts and responds to evaluative feedback from subordinates, peers and supervisors, in order to improve performance and service.
- Takes initiative to develop needed professional skills.
- Remains current with professional continuing education requirements.
- Attends local, state, and national clinics and conventions as appropriate.
- Conducts oneself in a professional and ethical manner and abide by all professional codes of ethics.
USA Aquatics Club Team:
- Responsible for recruiting, interviewing and hiring USAS coaches.
- Responsible for maintaining positive cash flow/balanced budget operations of all USAS club programs.
- Supervises the recruitment of athletes for all USAS club programs.
- Approves transportation and lodging arrangements for all USAS club programs.
- Works closely with USAS club program’s parent groups to keep the fully informed of appropriated and necessary student athlete support.
- Performs other tasks and assume such responsibilities as may be assigned.
- Supervise instructor(s).