Assistant Director Purchasing
Direct and manage the purchasing activities of the district. Ensure compliance with applicable state and federal laws and regulations governing school district purchases of goods and services.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or accounting
- TASBO Certification
- Thorough knowledge of state and federal purchasing laws and regulations
- Familiar with best practices for purchasing and inventory
- Experience managing a credit card program
- Ability to develop solicitation documents to procure a wide variety of school related products and services including personal property, construction and professional services
- Experience in managing contract negotiations
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of automated procurement systems (Oracle Business Suite preferred)
- Possess project and time manage skills
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills
- Five (5) years’ procurement experience in Texas K-12
- Three (3) Supervisory experience (preferred)
- Oversee purchase of materials and equipment for the district by competitive bids, competitive sealed proposals, requests for proposals, government catalog contract purchases, informal quotations, and negotiations following established district criteria and in compliance with state purchasing rules.
- Oversee preparation of all competitive solicitations, including notice and instructions to bidders, specifications, and other required documentation.
- Evaluate competitive solicitations and make recommendations for the awarding of contracts to executive director of purchasing for school board approval.
- Obtain and evaluate comparative prices and quotations. Make purchasing decisions based on information obtained.
- Develop vendor and bidder lists and approve additions.
- Approve purchase orders and monitor all purchase requisitions to ensure accuracy of information, calculations, and coding.
- Administer contracts and handle adjustments with suppliers, including replacement of material not conforming to specifications, cancellation of orders, and receipt of proper credit.
- Maintain a contract calendar.
- Select, train, evaluate, and supervise purchasing staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
- Work cooperatively with district personnel to determine specific requirements and assist in locating necessary goods and services.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required, including auditable accounting records.
Supervise, evaluate, and recommend the hiring and firing of buyers.
Standard office equipment including personal computer and peripherals
Prolonged sitting; occasional bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Repetitive hand motions, frequent keyboarding and use of mouse; occasional reaching
Occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds)
May work prolonged or irregular hours
Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress