Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field
Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
Ability to effectively communicate both internally and externally
Proficiency in writing, proofreading, editing and photography
Proficiency working with news media
Knowledge of Associated Press Style
Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office Suite
Knowledge of student privacy laws
Ability to meet established deadlines while managing multiple projects
One to three (1-3) years’ journalism or communications experience
Public and Media Relations
- Assist with production and distribution of publications produced by the Communications Department.
- Gather new and write articles for a variety of mediums, both print and online.
- Cover events throughout the work week and on weekends, both as a reporter and photographer.
- Generate and coordinate media coverage for campus and district initiatives and events.
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of social media tools.
- Assist with planning and implementation of special events and programs.
- Establish and maintain relationships with district and departmental leadership to cultivate an effective channel of communications.
Policy and Law
- Effectively interpret policy, procedures and data.
- Help maintain the district brand.
- Demonstrate integrity while working with matters related to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Work both independently with minimal direction and collaboratively as part of a larger team.
- Answer incoming calls and respond to routine inquiries from the public, media, Board of Trustees or staff as directed. Refer non-routine inquiries to the Director of Communications.