High school diploma or GED
Clear and valid Texas Driver’s License
Demonstrated ability to read and interpret documentation such as safety procedures, operating maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
Demonstrated ability to operate cleaning equipment and lift heavy equipment
Ability to evaluate and critique employees and to handle any personnel issues
Should possess strong interpersonal and communication skills
Five (5) years custodial experience
Three (3) years supervisory experience
- Ensure that a cleaning schedule will be followed and will include cleaning, dusting, and/or vacuuming of floors, carpeting, walls, whiteboards, trash cans, windows, glass, furniture, equipment, and restrooms.
- Make sure school/building and grounds, including entryways, sidewalks, driveways, parking lots and play areas are neat and clean.
- Assist in maintaining an inventory of cleaning supplies and equipment and request additional supplies as needed by each campus under his/her supervision.
- Able to perform preventive maintenance on all custodial equipment and to operate al equipment according to established safety procedures.
- Comply with the Texas Hazardous communications Act which includes emphasizing safety, storing, handling, labeling, and application of all chemicals.
- Maintain professional appearance at all times by wearing appropriate attire to include work pants with a GISD Custodial Services Department issued shirt.
- Regular attendance and punctuality at work are essential functions of the job.
- Ability to demonstrate the following core values: trustworthiness, responsibility, respect, fairness, caring and citizenship.
- Maintain safety standards in accordance with federal, state, district, and insurance regulations and train technicians on proper and safe use of equipment and chemicals.
- Ensure that established safety procedures are followed including lifting and climbing. Make sure that tools and equipment are operated and chemicals handled according to established safety procedures.
- Correct unsafe conditions in work area and promptly report any conditions that are not immediately correctable to supervisor.
- Follow established procedures for locking, checking, and safeguarding facilities.
Inventory and Equipment
- Evaluate and recommend custodial supplies and equipment to be used.
- Prepare, implement, and maintain preventive maintenance schedules for custodial equipment. Ensure that maintenance is completed and equipment is in safe operating condition. Recommend replacement of existing equipment when necessary.
- Conduct regular inventory of physical equipment and supplies and maintain accurate records. Order tools, equipment, and supplies as needed.
- Assist in the preparation of department budget.
- Select, train, supervise, and evaluate staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents as required including maintaining accurate information for payroll reporting (time cards, tardiness, and absenteeism).
- Supervise, evaluate, and recommend the hiring and firing of custodians.