Director of Family and Community Engagement
Master’s degree required, Doctorate preferred
Strong communication and organizational skills
Experience with dealing with ethnically diverse students and populations
Knowledge of the needs of special student populations
Experience with budget requirements from both local funds and Title I funding sources
Knowledge of K-12 instructional curriculum
Ability to organize and analyze data
Effective oral, written presentation and interpersonal communication skills
At least five (5) years’ experience as a Campus Principal or Program Director
- Develop and maintain processes, structures, and programs for Family and Community Engagement that met the unique needs and reflect the demographics of the community.
- Develop and maintain effective structures to garner community input into programs and services provided to support Family and Community Engagement.
- Develop and maintain an effective Strategic Planning process for Family and Community Engagement.
- Plan, develop, and administer programs and services designed to engage families and community members and meet the identified needs of all learners of the community, early learners through senior citizens.
- Establish and maintain a process that enhances collaborative efforts between county, cities, and other agencies within the school district to better serve all learners.
- Facilitate community partnerships focused on enhanced learning and overall engagement.
- Keep the Superintendent and the Board of Education informed on potential of expanded programs and services based on the community input process.
- Increase the authenticity and frequency of engagement between Garland ISD and its key stakeholder populations including Vietnamese, Spanish-Speaking, and African-American communities.
Student and Family Engagement
- Develop district Social Emotional Learning initiative
- Organize parent education programs to provide families with leadership skills to help improve student academics by addressing social/emotional needs
- Inform parents and staff through a variety of forums including face-to-face and community meetings and online forums
- Assist Area Directors and school principals in channeling engagement in ways that support and add value to student achievement.
- Welcoming Walkthroughs
- Family/School Partnerships
- Build a relationship and establish ongoing communication with principals to help increase their school’s parent engagement efforts and student achievement.
- Serve as a resource for school related organizations, including Parent Teacher Association, etc.
- Articulate the District’s mission and goals in the areas of discipline and attendance to the community and solicit community support in realizing the mission.
- Assess District/community needs and initiate activities to meet those identified needs.
- Demonstrate skill in conflict resolution with administrators, parents, teachers, staff and community.
- Provide for two-way communication with principals, teachers, staff, parents, and community.
- Develop and implement strategy for utilizing a wide array of partnerships with community-based organizations, programmatic partners, corporations, governmental agencies, and cultural institutions to further the work of Partnership schools towards improving student outcomes.
- Maintain an updated list of partners working within and on behalf of the schools and the district as a whole.
- Liaise with political entities and governmental agencies on behalf of the District.
- Manage strategy for maximizing utility of school-based partners, especially with college access partners, agencies, and organizations that support students’ socio-emotional needs.
- Coordinate volunteer and mentoring opportunities throughout the district.
- Review and cultivate new potential partnerships and match potential partners with schools to address specific needs.
- Facilitate school adoptions and other opportunities for corporations to sponsor schools with in-kind or monetary donations.
- Cultivate relationships with community leaders within the neighborhoods and communities of the GISD (Garland, Rowlett and Sachse).
- Provide assistance to district staff to achieve a broader understanding of the student community and family engagement.
District Collaboration and Communication
- Effectively work in partnership with the Student Services Team and School Leadership in achieving divisional goals for children and families, specifically focusing on and advocating for family voice and empowerment and building community partnerships on behalf of families and their children.
- Create a vision and strategic plan for engaging families throughout the district.
- Advise team and broader district community in the communication of information related to family empowerment and community to all stakeholders.
- Create strategic partnerships with community partners to develop systemic connections to support district programs.
- Contribute to Dropout Recovery effort at start of school year by coordinating home visits and providing supports to families of our secondary students.
- Lead community outreach and prospective family cultivation.
- Coordinate key elements of the Student Enrollment cycle.
- Support campuses in conducting open houses and school tours for prospective and interested families.
- Providing excellent customer service experience for parents, schools, and community members to foster a collaborative learning environment.
- Organizing, analyzing, and reporting on school- and community- level data as established by Executive Leadership’s metrics and goals.
- Oversees development of methods to measure impact and effectiveness of family engagement and community partnership work.
- Regularly utilizes data such as surveys, focus groups and other instruments to gauge the sentiment of staff, students, and/or parents to assist the schools systems’ approach to issues and programs; and develop new products and services to meet these needs.
- Perform all other tasks and duties as assigned by the Executive Director of Student Services.