Director of Finance
Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in accounting, finance or related field
CPA and TASBO Certification
Knowledge of Texas Education Agency (TEA) Financial Accountability System Resource Guide
Knowledge of applicable State of Texas and United States government and government agency compliance requirements
Knowledge of governmental accounting and auditing principles established by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
Experience with a strong knowledge of Oracle 12 financials applications
Ability to analyze and interpret financial data, evaluate accounting problems, develop data, and recommend improved procedures
Ability to use software to develop complex accounting reports, spreadsheets, and databases
Effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Experience in public school finance
Five (5) years of accounting and management experience
- Assist in the development of long-and short-range objectives for the business operations of the district.
- Ensure that accounting systems comply with applicable laws and regulation including Texas Education Agency (TEA) Financial Accountability System Resource Guide.
- Assist the district’s independent and internal auditors in conducting periodic audits.
- Evaluate accounting procedures, systems, and controls in all district departments and recommend improvements in their design, implementation, and maintenance.
- Determine cash available for investment and payment of bills based on daily analysis of cash flow.
- Oversee monthly bank reconciliations for all accounts. Review reconciliations of vendor and payroll clearing accounts.
- Work with district personnel to project capital equipment needs and other cost items for district and individual school improvement.
- Plan and conduct needs assessments for improvement of district business operations. Ensure that business operations support the district’s goals and objectives and provide leadership to achieve cost-effective practices throughout the district.
- Assist with administration of the business office budget and unsure that programs are cost effective and funds are managed prudently.
Policy, Reports, and Law
- Implement policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and local board policy in area of business operations.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required.
- Prepare, review, and revise business department job descriptions.
- Develop training options and/or improvement plans to ensure exemplary business operations.
- Select, train, evaluate, and supervise staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
- Supervise, evaluate, and recommend the hiring and firing of the Assistant Director of Finance, Business Office Accountants and other Business Office Staff.