Director of Guidance and Counseling
Guidance and Counseling Certification
Knowledge of the comprehensive guidance and counseling program
Knowledge of the state graduation requirements
Knowledge of the state assessment requirements
Knowledge of the academic, social and emotional needs of students
Knowledge of college and career opportunities for students
Ability to communicate with community agencies
Ability to communicate with department leaders and school personnel
Ability to implement policies and procedures
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Strong organizational skills, communication and interpersonal skills
Ten years counseling experience with increased levels of administrative responsibility in counseling
- Oversees the development and delivery of the district’s comprehensive guidance and counseling program.
- Direct the district’s student assistance program (LIGHT program) to ensure programs and services are provided at all campuses.
- Collaborates with staff to develop, maintain and revise guidance curriculum based upon a systematic review and analysis.
- Oversee and monitor the implementation of the Naviance College and Career platform.
- Support directors, coordinators and other central administrators in the implementation of special programs at the campus and district levels.
- Monitor the solicitation and administration of scholarships. Prepare an annual report for review by administration.
- Manage and support programs that provide alternative ways for students to earn credits toward graduation. (i.e. Credit by Exam, Edgenuity)
- Consult with principals to ensure an effective guidance and counseling program exist on each campus.
- Oversee and monitor the Academic Achievement Record (transcript) for accuracy. Work with the technology department for transcript design.
- Direct the Crest (Counselors Reinforcing Excellence for Students in Texas) Award application process at all campuses.
- Demonstrate support for the district’s student management policies and procedures.
Policy, Reports, and Law
- Support and follow local, state and federal rules and policies.
- Recommend policies and procedures that enhance the guidance and counseling program.
- Develop and administer the guidance and counseling budget and ensure that operations are cost effective and funds are managed within district guidelines.
- Prepare, review and revise job descriptions for the guidance and counseling department.
- Select, train, supervise and evaluate staff and make recommendations relative to assignment.
Communication and Community Relations
- Establish and maintain a professional relationship and open communication with principals, staff, parents, and the community.
- Serve as a district liaison to community agencies providing services to students and their parents.
- Articulate the district’s mission and Strategic Plan goals in the area of guidance and counseling to the community and solicit its support in realizing the mission.
- Supervise and evaluated guidance and counseling coordinators, elementary and middle school specialists, director’s secretary.
- Supervise student assistance counselors, registrars and Drug Intervention Specialist GAEC.