Director of Health Services
Professional Registered Nurse with current Texas license
Master’s Degree from an accredited school in nursing, health education, or health care administration
Certification from the Texas Department of State Health Services for Vision and Hearing Screening
Certification for Scoliosis Training, preferred
Certification for Acanthosis Training, preferred
BLS Healthcare Provider/AED/First Aid CPR Certification, required
CPR Instructor Trainer, preferred
Ability to organize, direct, coordinate and evaluate health services delivery system
Ability to implement policies and procedures
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Knowledge of school health and nursing administration
Knowledge of community medical and healthcare services
Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
Five (5) years’ experience in school health
Supervisory experience, preferred
Health Services Management
- Determine the goals, objectives and priorities of the health services program in conjunction with nurses and other staff and within the goals and strategic plan established by the district.
- Identify, analyze and apply current nursing and medical research findings to plan and provide health care for delivery for all students. Evaluate and improve school health practices and make changes based on finding.
- Coordinate activities of the health services program with outside agencies and members of the medical and health care community to ensure that students have access to adequate health care services. Represent the district in collaborative community programs related to student health.
- Serve as a permanent member of the district’s school health advisory committee. Participate in the development of health education curriculum and contribute to other committees related to health and safety issues of students and staff.
- Coordinate department and district staff development, orientation, training and certification as related to health needs of students.
- Compile, maintain and file all reports, records and other documents required including accurate, updated records of health information for all students.
Policy, Reports, and Law
- Implement and comply with policies established by federal and state law, Texas board of Nursing Nurse Practice Act, Texas Department of State Health Services rule, State Board of Education rule, and board policy.
- Develop programs and recommend policies related to health and safety. Provide expert advice to district administration and other departments regarding policies, procedures, nursing and healthcare standards on matters impacting students, staff and the community.
- Collaborate with district level administration to integrate and implement health policies and practices with priorities of the district.
- Manage the delivery of all campus health services and ensure consistent implementation of school health policies regarding immunizations, communicable diseases, medication and emergency care of ill and injured.
- Develop and administer health services budget based on documented needs and ensure that operations are cost effective and funds are managed wisely.
- Ensure that all campuses have needed healthcare supplies and sources and recommend purchase, replacement, and repair of equipment when needed.
- Recruit, interview, select, train, supervise and evaluate all health services personnel and make recommendations to human resources about assignment, retention, discipline and dismissal.
- Prepare, review and revise department job descriptions.
- Share responsibility with principals to evaluate performance of school health services personnel to ensure effectiveness and develop training options and improvement plans to ensure exemplary operation in the health services area.
- Plan and conduct professional development, orientation, training and certification programs for nurses and clinic assistants.
- Supervise, evaluate and recommend the hiring and dismissal of school nurses and clinic assistants at campuses throughout the district.