Director Office of Innovation
Valid Texas Teacher Certification
Doctorate degree, preferred
Minimum of five (5) years of public school service
Demonstrated experience leading complex change management efforts
Demonstrated experience with turnaround schools and Accelerating Campus Excellence
Strong interest in urban education and experience with driving improvement in student achievement
Inspire, manage, and collaborate with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders at all levels
Strong organizational, communication, strategic planning, and interpersonal skills
Ability to collect, analyze, and use multiple sources of data
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Serve on district level committees
Three (3) years’ experience as a classroom teacher
Two (2) years’ principal experience
Experience working on school transformation projects
Experience working collaboratively across key departments of a school district
Central office experience supervising principals preferred
Experience working with both elementary and secondary level schools and programs
Instructional and Program Management
- Utilize knowledge of innovative programs, procedures, and objectives to facilitate staff development and implementation of appropriate learning experience for pupils, regarding AVID, Academies, advanced Academics, Early College, ACE, Gifted and Talented, Magnets, Title I, Title I instructional technology, and Students Academic Success Programs.
- Champion the creation of innovative programs and refinement or redesign of existing programs that require extensive cross-departmental collaboration and internal consensus.
- Lead the development and execution of processes, including replication of existing programs, launch of new programs, and recruitment and management of external school providers.
- Coordinate and ensure the successful integration of evidence-based strategies to support the growth and success of all innovative programs and scale successful strategies to other campuses.
- Oversee support to innovate programs and magnet schools, including professional development for campus and central office staff.
- Oversee college and career readiness opportunities for students to excel on PSAT and SAT, and through increased numbers of students participating in college preparatory courses such as Advanced Placement, Dual Credit, and International Baccalaureate.
- Oversee support to AVID campuses in the development and implementation process, including necessary professional development for campus and central office staff.
- Oversee the development of Title I budgets and compliance with Title I requirements.
- Oversee orientation sessions, as needed, for effective implementation of Title I guidelines and instructional programs.
- Set the vision and strategic plan for the District’s model innovative schools and programs.
- Encourage and recognize excellence/improvement in the performance of staff.
- Demonstrate high expectations for staff through monitoring goals and program implementation, development and continuous improvement.
- Use surveys and feedback to maintain or create a positive organizational climate.
- Relate to staff, students, and parents in way that convey mutual respect, concern, and high expectations.
Strategic Implementation and Continuous Improvement
- Create professional learning communities to promote innovative thinking and collaborative learning among principals and district instructional leaders.
- Communicate with campuses and appropriate district leaders to ensure desired outcomes of each program within the department.
- Support efforts by principals to achieve district goals and campus goals where appropriate.
- Systematically monitor effectiveness of assigned programs by collaboratively reviewing campus and student level data with principals and departments to ensure that goals are being met.
- Develop, plan and assist in the delivery of effective staff development activities for instructional personnel.
Policy, Reports, and Law
- Develops policies to support increased choice, access, and equity for students and families to high-quality school options.
- Implement the policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and local board policy in special programs areas.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents as required.
Administration and Fiscal/Facilities Management
- Support and follow local, state, and federal rules and policies.
- Interpret and implement school district policies and procedures.
- Define program and other needs in the budget development process.
- Work with staff to develop budgets for each team within the department.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Facilitate communication and collaboration among campus administrators, district departmental leaders, and community members to enhance service delivery, program development, customer satisfaction – particularly around innovative schools and programs.
- Invest and engage internal and external stakeholders in innovative school models and educational practices.
- Prepare, review, and revise job descriptions in the department.
- Conference regularly with assigned staff to discuss performance and to jointly develop improvement objectives for professional growth opportunities.
- Select, train, evaluate, and supervise staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal
*To meet the executive exemption test, the primary duty must be management and the employee must supervise at least two full-time employees.