Director of Payroll and Benefits
To direct and manage the payroll and benefits functions of the district accurately and efficiently.
Bachelors’ degree from an accredited university in a related field or minimum of ten years of payroll/employee benefits experience at a high level of responsibility
TASBO Certification preferred
Ability to work in a high volume position
Knowledge of local, state, and federal requirements relating to payroll and benefits issues and reporting
Knowledge of payroll accounting and auditing principles
Knowledge of employee benefits and payroll computer applications, including Oracle and Third Party systems
Effective communication and interpersonal skills
Proficiency skills in keyboarding and file maintenance
Ability to work with numbers in an accurate and rapid manner
Ability to use software to develop spreadsheets databases and do word processing
Ability to supervise personnel
Minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience
TRS Reporting experience preferred
Texas school district payroll experience preferred
- Direct and control payroll preparation and production, including regular, special, and supplemental payrolls. Ensure adherence to standards and procedures, and take steps to correct problems, delays, and inaccuracies.
- Develop and implement payroll procedures to ensure timely payroll processing and the applicable payment of all payroll deductions, including IRS levies, Bankruptcy judgments, and Child Support and Student Loan garnishments.
- Ensure accuracy of payroll data input and calculations.
- Control payment of all liabilities generated through payroll, including taxes, Teacher Retirement System (TRS) deposits and insurance.
- Coordinate payroll operations with other accounting and data processing units, confer with other administrative and technical staff regarding changes and new systems and participate in developing, implementing, and testing procedures.
- Process and resolve direct deposit and other banking interactions.
- Direct and manage annual enrollment period.
- Reconcile and approve premium payments to TPA.
- Manage 403b and 457 processing, reporting, and data transfer for all payrolls.
- Resolve eligibility, claims, and administration issues with TPA and TRS-ActiveCare.
- Responsible for the collection and deposit of all premium payments made directly to GISD.
- Select, train, evaluate, supervise payroll and benefits staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
- Interface with administrators, principals, directors, and staff regarding payroll-related issues. Assist with the equitable resolution of complaints, concerns, and problems in the area of payroll.
- Work cooperatively with Human Resources and Business Services to process hiring, leave, terminations, and other employment-related issues.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required, including auditable records.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Supervise, evaluate, and recommend the hiring and firing of Payroll and Benefits Office Staff.
Standard office equipment including personal computer and peripherals
Prolonged sitting; occasional bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Repetitive hand motions, frequent keyboarding and use of mouse; occasional reaching
Occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds)
Working irregular hours; occasional prolonged hours
Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress