Director of Risk Management
Bachelor’s Degree in business or public administration with accounting, insurance or risk management emphasis
Professional designation of Associate of Risk Management (ARM), Certified Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) and /or Certified School Risk Manager (CRSM)
Knowledge of risk management program development
Knowledge of Texas workers’ compensation and insurance statutes and codes
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Ability to implement policy and procedures
Ability to interpret data
Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to conduct on-site safety inspections of all district facilities
Five (5) years experience in risk management, insurance, or closely related field
- Direct and manage the district’s risk management, loss control and safety programs.
- Advise upper management on issues related to loss exposure and accompanying risk to assets and employees. Recommend strategies to reduce risk and loss exposure and their related costs.
- Take a leadership role in analyzing and negotiating workers’ compensation, unemployment and property and casualty insurance policies and make sound recommendations for selection of insurance brokers and carriers.
- Work with brokers, insurers, service providers and district personnel on the design, implementation and monitoring of safety, loss prevention and claims administration programs for the district.
- Review and respond to all unemployment claims. Serve as district representative for Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) and Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers’ Compensation (DWC) hearings. Manage claims or work in defense and settlement of claims against the district.
- Ensure that inspections are conducted on a regular basis and conditions are assessed for risk, hazards identified, and recommendations are made to principals and supervisors to correct unsafe conditions.
- Provide safety guidelines and training for district staff. Develop and manage safety incentive plans to reduce accidents and promote loss prevention programs.
- Work with insurance carriers to address property loss claims filed by the district.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Policy, Reports, and Law
- Monitor and review periodic claims and reports and provide trend analysis for all lines of insurance coverage.
- Implement the policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and local board policy in area of risk management. Recommend sound policies to improve program.
- Compile, maintain and file all reports, records and other documents required.
- Develop and administer budget based on documented needs and ensure that operations are cost effective and funds are managed wisely.
- Select, train, supervise and evaluate staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline and dismissal.
- Prepare, review and revise job descriptions in risk management department.
- Develop training options and/or improvement plans to ensure exemplary risk management operations.
- Supervise, evaluate, and recommend hiring and firing of the safety coordinator and workers’ compensation specialist, fleet safety specialist and secretary.