Master’s Degree from accredited university
Valid Texas Teacher Certification
Valid Texas Educational Diagnostician Certification
Ability to administer and interpret intelligence and achievement assessment instruments
Ability to prepare appropriate individual education programs (IEPs)
Knowledge of local, state and federal rules and regulations pertaining to special education
Knowledge of various special education eligibility conditions and the challenges to learning
Knowledge of curriculum in grades PK through 12
Basic computer skills
Strong organization and communication (written and oral) Ability to work cooperatively with staff, students and parents
Three years of successful teaching experience
Support for Instructional Planning and Services
- Provide consultative support to school staff through the response to intervention (RtI) process, offering suggestions for strategies and interventions that may be implemented in the general education classroom to meet the needs of struggling students.
- Administer approved achievement and intelligence measures, using instruments and procedures approved by the district.
- Prepare evaluation reports, utilizing the format approved by the district.
- Assists the building administration to ensure that the ARD/IEP process and the quality of programs for students with disabilities are in compliance with Federal, State and Local requirements.
- Participate in admission, review and dismissal (ARD) committee meetings to interpret appraisal results and in the development of the individual education programs (IEPs).
- Consult with school staff about implementation of the IEPs, appropriate accommodations and modifications, and strategies for learning.
- Manage caseload and assignments so as to meet compliance timelines for evaluations, ARD/IEP committee meetings, and services to students.
- Disseminate information regarding policies and procedures developed by the Department of Special Education Services.
- Provide support to and develop procedures with school personnel in order to ensure compliance with local, state and federal special education policies and procedures n assigned school and/or facilities.
- Provide assistance with the organizational needs of the Special Education Department.
- Support the organizational needs of campuses, upon request.
The Educational Diagnostician’s Role in Student Achievement
- Work collaboratively with teachers and campuses administrators in the creation of a supportive school environment that meets the academic and development needs of students.
- Support the creation and implementation of special education services on school campuses, in support of academic and skill development in students with special needs.
- Provide assistance to teachers and school administrators in the creation of a school climate that effectively manages student behavior in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct and Student Handbook.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Create and deliver staff development presentations to paraprofessionals, teachers and campus administrators on topics related to special education.
- Attend in-service training in order to maintain current knowledge and skills appropriate to job assignment.
Qualities of an Effective Educational Diagnostician
- Use effective communication skills, written and oral, to present information accurately and clearly to student, parents and staff.
- Maintain a professional relationship with colleagues, students, parents and community members.
- Maintain familiarity with current trends in the areas of curriculum and special education.
- Keep informed of and comply with state, district, and school regulations and policies for staff, including daily attendance, punctuality and confidentiality.
- Compile, maintain and file all reports, records and other required documents.
- Attend and participate in Special Education Department meetings and serve on committees, as required.
- Comply with the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics.
- Demonstrate the following core values: integrity, high expectations, commitment, respect, dedication to teamwork and passion for a student centered environment.
- Daily attendance and punctuality at work are essential functions of the job.
- Supervision of individual students during evaluation sessions.