Executive Director of Athletics
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university
Valid Texas Teaching Certificate
Knowledge of overall operations of an athletic program
Knowledge of federal, state, and UIL policies governing athletics
Ability to implement policy and procedures
Ability to interpret data
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Excellent public relations, organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Ability to speak effectively before groups of students, parents, and staff
Minimum of ten (10) years teaching and coaching experience
Minimum of seven (7) years supervisory level athletic administration, coaching, or closely related experience
- Establish and ensure that administrative policies and procedures of Athletics department are followed.
- Administer rules and regulations that govern athletics at district and state level.
- Communicate with parent, coaches, principals vendors, and all athletic stakeholders.
- Administer budget of Athletics department.
- Direct and mange district’s athletic program and facilities.
- Assist the Garland ISD Security department in coordinating the safety and security of all athletic events.
- Establish and maintain requirements for participation in each sport, and verify each athlete’s UIL eligibility.
- Maintain an active program that promotes good sportsmanship and student development including the time, resources, and material to support accomplishments of department goals.
- Monitor athletic programs; effectiveness and ensure that program renewal is continuous and responsive to student needs.
- Manage district athletic programs including directing ticket sales, employing game officials, and ensuring preparations of facilities.
- Review all district athletic schedules.
- Approve or arrange the transportation, lodging, and meals for out-of-town athletic events.
- Oversee the process of cleaning, repairing, and storing of all district athletic equipment.
- Coordinate with the GISD facilities department the use of all secondary athletic facilities by non-school groups.
- Initiate all athletic awards programs.
- Implement district student management policies, communicate expected student behavior related to athletics, and ensure enforcement of student discipline in accordance with the Athletic Code of Conduct, Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Establish and maintain open lines of communication on vital issues with parents, students, coaches, and administration.
Policy, Reports, and Law
- Implement the policies established by federal law, state law, State Board of Education rules, UIL rules, and local board policy in the area of athletics.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents as required.
Budget and Inventory
- Develop and administer a budget based on documented needs and ensure that operations are cost effective and funds are managed wisely.
- Maintain a current inventory of supplies and equipment and recommend disposal and replacement of equipment when necessary.
- Prepare, review and revise job descriptions for athletic department.
- Recruit, select, train, supervise, and evaluate all athletic department personnel and make recommendations to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
- Develop training options and/or improvement plans for employees to ensure exemplary operation in athletics.
- Articulate the district’s mission and goals in the area of athletics to the community and solicit its support in realizing the mission.
- Demonstrate awareness of district and community needs, initiate activities to meet those needs, and use appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community and parent involvement.
- Support athletic booster clubs activities.
- Supervise, evaluate, and recommend hiring and firing of coaches and support staff.