Executive Director of Communications and Public Relations
Excellent public relations, organizational, communication, managerial and interpersonal skills
Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees, parents, media, and the public
Ability to communicate effectively and professionally in writing and speaking
Superior writing ability
Thorough knowledge of media public relations functions
Understanding of crisis communications
Successful experience with bond and/or TRE referenda
Minimum of five (5) years journalism, communications, and/or public relations experience
Public and Community Relations
- Serve as district spokesperson with media.
- Ensure that public information activities contribute to and are aligned with district goals and objectives.
- Supervise the design, preparation, and editing of district publications including print, website, video and social media.
- Supervise crisis communication in conjunction with district security.
- Supervise the departments of communications, education foundation, web services, GRS-TV, printing services, Harris Hill building and reception.
- Innovate GISD publications and initiative to showcase the district’s efforts
Policies, Reports, and Law
- Comply with policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and local board policy.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records and other documents as required.
- Develop and administer the department budget based on documented needs and ensure that operations are cost effective and funds are managed wisely.
- Select, train, supervise, and evaluate staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
- Develop training options and/or improvement plans to ensure exemplary operation of the communications function.
- Supervise, evaluate, and recommend the hiring of the Director of Communications, President of the Garland Education Foundation, Coordinator of Web Services, Coordinator of GRS-TV, Coordinator of Printing Services, Harris Hill front lobby receptionists and Harris Hill Facilities Manager.