Executive Director Purchasing
TASBO RTSBA Certification
The ability to direct and manage purchasing activities
Ability to ensure compliance with applicable state and federal laws and regulations governing school district purchases of goods and services
Knowledge of competitive bidding statutes and purchasing procedures
Knowledge of accounting and auditing principles
Proficiency skills in keyboarding and file maintenance
Ability to work with numbers in an accurate and rapid manner
Ability to use software to develop spreadsheets, databases, and do word processing
Ability to supervise personnel
Effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Ability to present procurement processes to a wide variety of audiences
Ten years’ public school procurement experience
Five (5) years supervisory experience
- Oversees purchase of materials, services and equipment for the district by competitive bids, competitive sealed proposals, requests for proposals, request for qualifications, informal quotations, and negotiations following established district criteria and in compliance with state purchasing rules.
- Oversees preparations of all bidding documents, including notice and instruction to bidders, specifications, and form of proposal.
- Evaluates formal bids and makes recommendations for the awarding of contracts to chief financial officer for school board approval.
- Obtains and evaluates comparative prices and quotations and is able to make purchasing decisions based on information obtained.
- Develop vendor and bidder lists and approve additions.
- Ensure that the purchasing department is supportive of the instructional goals and objectives of the district.
- Provides principals with the prompt, timely delivery of the necessary supplies and equipment to carry out the goals and objectives of the district.
- Works with instructional leaders to provide them with information on new materials available.
- Develops and maintains a positive staff morale between the purchasing department and educational leaders at the school and organization levels.
- Ensures that effective communication techniques are used with staff and community.
- Ensures that all school personnel have input for items warehoused in the district.
- Involves the staff and students in the purchasing process whenever possible.
- Is effective in keeping staff morale high.
- Cooperatively develops and accomplishes department improvement plans.
- Relates to staff, students, and parents in ways that convey mutual respect, concern, and high expectations.
- Uses the district mission, the department goals, and input from principals and other administrators to provide effective staff development activities.
- Establishes and communicates the mission of the purchasing department.
- Works with principals and other personnel on needs that can be served by the purchasing and warehouse departments.
- Identifies staffing needs, building and facilities’ needs, capital equipment needs, and other items for the purchasing departments.
- Encourages and recognizes excellence/improvements in performance of staff.
- Establishes and monitors an improvement plan which reflects feedback from assessment indicators and the evaluation process.
- Provides leadership and technical assistance for principals and other administrators related to purchasing department guidelines and operations.
- Resolves conflicts effectively and works in harmony with others.
- Defines expectations of the staff, evaluates performance, and encourages improvement within the department through conferences and improvement plans.
- Uses effective methods of recruitment, retention, transfer, and dismissal of personnel in accordance with state and local policies.
- Supports and follows local, state, and federal rules and policies and performs other duties as assigned.
- Manifests support for and compliance with the philosophy, objectives, policies, and procedures of the district.
- Prepares specifications, tabulates bids, and recommends vendors as required by district policy.
- Completes assignments and duties in a timely manner.
- Makes maximum use of available space and keeps facilities/area attractive and well maintained.
- Works with appropriate staff to plan, implement, and evaluate the services of the purchasing department.
- Works with computer services regarding the implementation and/or maintenance of computer systems related to the purchasing department.
- Compiles purchasing department budgets and cost estimates for each school year and reviews budget reports for the purchasing department.
- Conducts campus visits as requested.
- Promotes community understanding of and support for the district mission.
- Articulates to the general public the school district’s mission and goals and the ways in which the purchasing department supports these directions.
- Fosters rapport between the district and the community through positive involvement in civic activities.
- Works with business people to encourage local companies to get involved in bids for the school district.
- Shows a willingness to listen to complaints and recommendations with a positive attitude.
- Uses information provided through formal and informal assessment data and a professional development plan to improve professional skills and knowledge.
- Uses information received from state and private sector, staff development, coursework, and/or professional associations to improve performance and leadership skills.
- Monitors warehouse data to identify obsolete or slow moving inventory items, inventory accuracy, and addition of new items.
- Develop and monitor processes to ensure warehouse and instructional material are delivered in a timely manner.
- Manages the district credit card program in conjunction with the Finance Department.
- Is mentally and physically able to perform job functions.
- Supervises and evaluates the performance of staff assigned to departments and others as assigned by the CFO.