High School Assistant Band Director
Bachelor’s degree in music from an accredited college or university
Valid Texas teaching certificate in secondary music
ESL Certification preferred
Knowledge of overall operation of instrumental music program
Knowledge of state and UIL policies governing band
Ability to implement policy, procedures, and data
Ability to manage budget
Strong instructional communication, public relations, organizational, leadership, and interpersonal skills
Willingness to advance knowledge by attending workshops, conventions, and staff development sessions
Adept in brass, woodwind and percussion pedagogy
Previous band directing experience preferred
- Engage and plan with middle school and high school directors to align programmatic curricular and extra-curricular activities with the band cluster.
- Assist with and direct high school instrumental performers, including marching band, concert band, jazz band, soloists, and ensembles.
- Assist with establishing performance requirements, enforcing academic requirements, and verifying each student’s eligibility to participate in band.
- Comply with federal and state laws, State Board of Education (SBEC) rule, UIL rules, and board policy in the band area.
- Obtain and use evaluative findings (including student achievement data) to determine program effectiveness and ensure that program renewal in continuous and responds to student needs.
- Assist with the design and implementation of plans for recruitment and retention of students.
- Recommend policies to improve program.
- Support Band Booster Club activities.
Budget and Inventory
- Ensure that programs are cost-effective and funds are managed wisely.
- Assist with fundraising activities and managing funds.
- Assist with maintaining current inventory of all fixed assets within department.
- Assist with the process of cleaning, repairing, and storing all band equipment.
- Assist with the development and implementation of plans for instrumental music program and show written evidence of preparation as required.
- Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for individual student differences.
- Present subject matter according to guidelines established by the Texas Education Agency, board policies, and administrative regulations.
- Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned.
- Conduct ongoing assessments of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
- Create an environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Actively participate in district and area music events, including festivals, Pre-UIL events and UIL/TMEA events.
- Apply and enforce student discipline in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Accompany and supervise student on out-of-town trips.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals, and teachers.
- Maintain professional relationship with colleagues, students, parents, and community members.
- Work to provide campus, district and community awareness of band activities and performances.
- Assist with recruiting, supervising and evaluating private lesson instructors for campus/cluster.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the head band director or administrator.