High School Counselor
Master’s Degree guidance and counseling
Valid Texas counselor’s certificate
Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills and knowledge of the types of services provided by counselors.
Technology skills including computer skills, Microsoft applications
Ability to present information in one-on-one, small groups, larger group situation to student, parents, and staff
Knowledge of counseling procedures, student appraisal, and career development
Two (2) years of teaching experience
- Collaborate with the counseling team to develop a written guidance plan in cooperation with the principal and the Director of Guidance and Counseling Services, outlining specific areas of responsibility, annual school guidance program goals, and activities for attaining goals.
- Interpret standardized test results and assessment data to guide students in individual goal setting and planning. Support the test administration process.
- Consult with teachers and other staff members to promote maximum learning in the classroom.
- Coordinate and teach guidance lessons addressing academic success, personal and social growth, and college and career information.
- Coordinate and teach guidance lessons based on campus and student needs.
- Demonstrate skill in coaching staff and teachers and provide technical assistance to instructional staff concerning counseling and guidance.
- Collaborate with teachers and administration to develop student improvement plans to assist students in reaching their academic potential.
- Keep informed of and comply with federal, state, district, and school policies for public school guidance and counseling.
- Promote and support efforts to help each student develop problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Keep informed of course offerings, graduation requirements, and Garland ISD curriculum.
- Collaborate with principal and school staff to complete the CREST (Counselors Reinforcing Excellence for Students in Texas) Award application.
- Promote a positive, caring climate for learning.
- Communicate and support the district’s Strategic Plan.
- Respond sensitively and fairly with persons from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Respond effectively to crisis situations.
- Develop long-range and short-range plans for a complete guidance program for the students assigned based on the needs and expectations of the populations to be served.
- Collaborate with campus administration on crisis management planning.
- Assist students in learning appropriate school behavior and in developing self-understanding and social skills through individual and group guidance and counseling activities.
- Work with students and their parents to develop educational, graduation, and career plans.
- Conduct student registration activities.
- Review or supervise review of student course of study plan and correct course placement.
- Provide information to students and parents about course offerings, college, financial aid, and careers.
- Coordinate, plan, and implement college awareness guidance lessons and career fairs.
- Assist in placement of students in special programs.
- Provide individual and group counseling for students and consult with their parents concerning problems that interfere with learning.
- Provide guidance and transition information to parents and students as students move from one grade to the next.
- Coach students to develop an individual graduation plan using Naviance College and Career platform.
Professional Growth and Development
- Develop professional skills appropriate to guidance and counseling.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible.
- Attend and participate in all required district guidance and counseling professional development opportunities.
- Follow all rules, regulation, and policies of Garland ISD and follow directives from supervisors.
- Perform other functions that may be assigned by administration and/or supervisor.
- Communicate clearly the district’s programs to the parents and the community and respond to their concerns in a timely manner.
- Support overall District goals, supporting student’s instructional goals and the student’s preparation for college, career, and life.
- Refer parents to appropriate community resources.
- Maintain and be aware of community resources, referrals, and other assistance available to students and families.
- Take an active role in communicating the district’s guidance program to the community.
- Maintain a respectful, professional demeanor and communication style with students, parents, and staff.
- Support and assist clerical assistants.