ICON Virtual School Facilitator
Working under the direction of the Executive Director of Innovation, this position will work with the selected instructional provider to develop the structures, and systems of the school, consistent with the Garland ISD vision and mission for student success. The responsibilities include planning, building, and launching and leading the GISD virtual school.
Master’s degree in educational administration
Texas principal or other appropriate Texas certificate
Advanced Education Leadership (AEL) certification, Instructional Leadership training (ILT), or Instructional Leadership Development (ILD)
T-TESS certification preferred
Demonstrated computer proficiency with experience navigating the virtual-education arena
Working knowledge of curriculum and instruction
Ability to evaluate instructional program and teaching effectiveness
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Ability to implement policy and procedures
Ability to interpret data
Excellent organizational, communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills
Two (2) years’ experience as a classroom teacher
Three (3) years’ experience in instructional leadership roles
- Work with an external provider to successfully launch a virtual school that is fully staffed by a partner vendor.
- Provide leadership to ensure the coordination of the following services and duties: Counseling, Special Education, Section 504, ELL and Bilingual Services, STAAR assessments, course placement for students, course completion and credit awards, maintenance and upload of student data.
- Ensure high standards of instruction and student achievement, compliance with district policies, application of instructional programs, and effective operation of all campus activities.
- Plan, build, launch and lead the school.
- Monitor instructional processes to ensure that program activities are related to outcomes and use findings to take corrective actions where necessary.
- Provide instructional resources and materials needed to accomplish instructional goals.
- Establish clear expectations for staff performance with regard to instructional strategies, classroom management, and communication with the public.
- Foster collegiality and team building among staff members. Encourage their active involvement in decision-making process.
- Solicit regular input from campus-level committee about planning, operation, supervision, and evaluation of campus education program. Include students and community representatives when appropriate.
School or Organization Improvement
- Build a common vision for school improvement with staff. Direct planning activities and implement programs to ensure attainment of school’s mission.
- Establish campus performance objectives for Academic Excellence Indicators using the campus planning process and involving site-based decision-making committee. Demonstrate campus progress using results to promote school improvement.
- Provide opportunities for interactive communication with superintendent, staff students, parents, and community.
- Act as a campus behavioral coordinator in accordance with state laws and regulations.
- Work with faculty and students to develop a student discipline management system that results in positive student behavior and enhances the school climate.
- Ensure that school rules are uniformly applied and that student discipline is appropriate and equitable in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Conduct conferences about student and school issues with parents, students, and teachers.
Management of Fiscal, Administrative, and Facilities Functions
- Comply with district policies, state and federal laws, and regulation affecting schools.
- Develop and administer campus budgets based on documented program needs and estimate enrollment ensuring that operations are cost effective and funds are managed wisely.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required including accurate and timely reports of maximum attendance to requisition textbooks.
- Observe employee performance, record observations, and conduct evaluation conferences with staff.
- Coach staff and help them identify and develop appropriate professional growth opportunities as well as accomplish improvement goals.
- Work with campus-level planning and decision-making committees to plan professional development activities.
School or Community Relations
- Articulate the school’s mission to the community and solicit its support in realizing the mission.
- Demonstrate awareness of school and community needs and initiate activities to meet those needs using appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community and parent involvement.
- Other duties as assigned.
Standard office equipment such as personal computers and peripherals
Prolonged sitting, occasional bending/stooping, pushing, pulling, and twisting
Repetitive hand motions, frequent keyboarding and use of mouse; occasional reaching
Occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds); occasional physical restraint of students to control behavior
Working irregular hours; occasional prolonged hours
Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress