Instructional Specialist (English Language Learners)
Master’s degree in relevant educational field
Valid Texas Teachers’ Certification in Bilingual Education Supplemental or English as a Second Language Supplemental
Valid Texas Teacher’s Certification in Reading or Language Arts or Generalist (EC-6) or (8-12)
Experience with the design, development, and implementation of ELL programs
Experience providing leadership in the use of instructional technology resources to enhance learning
Experience with the design, development, and implementation of ELL course content and assessment
Experience with the design, development, and implementation of ELL professional development programs
Experience with the implementation of LPAC requirements
Expertise in second language acquisition and culturally responsive pedagogy
Experience preparing and maintaining ELL program documentation as required by state and federal mandates
Demonstrated strong organizational, communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills required to achieve the goals of the position
Minimum of five (5) years of successful teaching experience
Instructional and Program Management
- Provides leadership for the development, articulation, implementation and stewardship of elementary ELL Programs, ELL course content and assessment, ELL professional development and LPAC instructional requirements.
- Implements best practices related to technology use in the ELL classroom and computer labs.
- Facilitates grade-level team/department meetings to analyze ELL assessment data, review student work, debrief classroom observations and best practices, identify student needs, and plan differentiated instruction.
- Facilitates peer coaching by working with teacher to plan, deliver, and analyze lessons.
- Provides instructional support to teachers, when necessary, regarding effective strategies for ELLs.
- Conducts professional development addressing ELL specific program requirements and course content, including ELPS, sheltered instruction/SIOP, and TELPAS PLDs.
- Collaborates with the principal and teachers to ensure that professional development plans and intervention services are aligned with the linguistic and academic needs of ELLs.
- Conducts demonstration lessons and facilitates classroom observations to improve instruction for ELLs.
- Assists with the coordination of the development and implementation of innovative instructional programs serving English language learners to achieve identified needs.
- Works with departments and campuses to facilitate the use of student information and performance systems (e.g., Skyward, SchoolNet, Ellevation, Imagine Learning, Istation, MAP) in the teaching/learning process specific to English language learners.
- Visits school sites and classrooms to assist site administrators in monitoring effective program implementation.
- Serves as an LPAC district member addressing instructional compliance activities, ILAP implementation and annual audits.
- Provides instructional leadership to schools to accelerate English language proficiency of students not demonstrating required growth as measured by TELPAS.
- Assists with the development and implementation of procedures to maximize English language learners; instructional opportunities within each elementary school.
Policy, Reports, and Law
- Works to ensure that schools are in compliance with federal, state and local requirements outline in statute, education code, administrative code and policy for English language learners.
- Interprets and implements school district policies and procedures for the schools related to the implementation of ELL programs.
- Assists with the preparation of federal/state/local reports accurately and timely and makes local recommendations relative to ELL programs as requested.
- Assists with the supervision of the writing/distribution of the BE/ESL program manual and forms as requested.
- Supports and follows federal, state and local rules and policies.
Budget and Inventory
- Assists with the development, preparation, and administration of the budget for supplies and equipment.
- Works with the teachers and technology staff in the selection of resources that are compatible with the goals of the bilingual and ESL programs and any related technological resources available.
- Provides leadership, encouragement, opportunities and structure for staff to continually design more effective teaching and learning experiences for all students.
- Provides timely, specific feedback to educators serving English language learners that validates best practice and encourages reflection.
- Systematically and fairly recognizes and celebrates accomplishments of staff and students.
Communication and Community Relations
- Promotes and supports structures for family and community involvement across the district.
- Collaboratively establishes a culture that welcomes and honors families and community and seeks ways to engage them in student learning.