High School Diploma or GED
Clear and valid Texas driver’s license
Demonstrated ability to read and interpret documentation such as safety procedures, operating maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
Demonstrated ability to operate cleaning equipment and lift heavy equipment
One (1) year experience
- Maintain a cleaning schedule that will include cleaning, dusting, and/or vacuuming of floors, carpeting, walls, whiteboards, trash cans, windows, glass, furniture, equipment, and restrooms.
- Keep school/building and grounds, including entryways, sidewalks, driveways, parking lots and play areas neat and clean.
- Removal and disposal of trash in the cafeteria every 30-45 minutes during breakfast and lunch serving times.
- Monitor HVAC equipment for environmental comfort according to established guidelines and directives (day custodian only).
- Assist in maintaining and inventory of cleaning supplies and equipment and request additional supplies as needed from Night Lead Custodian.
- Advise Night Lead custodian when school or building requires a work order for a specific area/location.
- Perform preventative maintenance on all custodial equipment. Operate all equipment according to established safety procedures.
- Comply with the Texas Hazardous Communications Act which includes emphasizing safety, storing, handling, labeling, and application of all chemicals.
- Maintain professional appearance at all times by wearing appropriated attire to include work pants with a GISD Custodial Services Department issued shirt.
- Regular attendance and punctuality at work are essential functions of the job.
- Ability to demonstrate the following core values: trustworthiness, responsibility, respect, fairness, caring, and citizenship.
- Maintain safety standards in accordance with federal, state, district, and insurance regulations and train technicians on proper and safe use of equipment and chemicals.
- Ensure that established safety procedures are followed including lifting and climbing. Make sure that tools and equipment are operated and chemicals handled according to established safety procedures.
- Correct unsafe conditions in work area and promptly report any conditions that are not immediately correctable to supervisor.
- Follow established procedures for locking, checking, and safeguarding facilities.
Inventory and Equipment
- Evaluate and recommend custodial supplies and equipment to be used.
- Prepare, implement, and maintain preventive maintenance schedules for custodial equipment. Ensure that maintenance is completed and equipment is in safe operating condition. Recommend replacement of existing equipment when necessary.
- Conduct regular inventory of physical equipment and supplies, maintain accurate records, order tools, equipment, and supplies as needed.
- Assist in the preparation of department budget.
- Select, train, supervise, and evaluate staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents as required including maintaining accurate information for payroll reporting (time cards, tardiness, and absenteeism).
- Supervise, evaluate, and recommend the hiring and firing of custodians.