Middle School Specialist
Master’s Degree guidance and counseling
Valid Texas counselor’s certificate
Mid-Management Certification (Preferred)
Knowledge of a comprehensive guidance program
Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills and knowledge of the types of services provided by counselors
Technology skills including computer skills, Microsoft applications and the Student Information System
Ability to present information in one-on-one, small groups, larger group situation to student, parents,and staff
Knowledge of counseling procedures, student appraisal, and career development
Five (5) years of counseling experience with extended experience in a leadership role
- Manage and evaluate the development and delivery of the district’s comprehensive guidance and counseling program for grades 6-8.
- Collaborates with assigned staff to develop, maintain and revise guidance curriculum based upon a systematic review and analysis.
- Support programs designed to assists students in making a smooth transition from one level to another.
- Work with counselors to ensure the needs and concerns of students are addressed through individual guidance and counseling.
- Manage the college readiness initiatives (i.e., Middle School Expo, campus college awareness activities, district’s College Day).
- Support directors, coordinators and other central administrators in the implementation of special programs at the campus/district levels.
- Coach the assigned campus in completing the Crest (Counselors Reinforcing Excellence for Students in Texas) Award application.
- Provide resources and training for counselors that will support the delivery of an effective guidance program.
- Perform other functions that may be assigned by administration and/or supervisor.
- Demonstrate support for the district’s student management policies and procedures.
Policy, Reports, and Law
- Support and follow local, state and federal rules and policies.
- Screen and make recommendations relative to counselor assignments. Coach the assigned staff.
- Plan and deliver effective staff development activities using the district’s strategic plan, program evaluation outcomes, and input from campuses and departments to determine training needs and conduct monthly staff meetings.
- Conduct on-site visits to assigned campuses to discuss job function and program expectations.
Communication and Community Relations
- Establish and maintain a professional relationship and open communication with principals, staff, parents, and the community.
- Articulate the district’s mission and Strategic Plan goals in the area of guidance and counseling to the community and solicit its support in realizing the mission.
- Support and assist assigned staff.