Nurse Coordinator - GISD Enrollment Center Clinic
Valid registered nurse (RN) or advances practice RN license from the Texas Board of Nursing.
Two (2) years’ experience in school health, community health, pediatric/adolescent healthcare, or nursing administration
Three (3) years’ supervisory experience
Ability to organize, direct, coordinate, and evaluate health services delivery system
Ability to implement policies and procedures
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Knowledge of school health and nursing administration
Knowledge of community medical and healthcare services
Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Determine the goals, objectives, and priorities of the health services program in conjunction with nurses and other staff and within the goals and strategic plan established by the district.
- Identify, analyze, and apply current nursing and medical research finding to plan and provide health care delivery for all students. Evaluate and improve school health practices and make changes based on findings.
- Develop programs and recommend policies related to health and safety. Provide expert advice to district administration and other departments regarding policies, procedures, nursing, and healthcare standards on matters impacting student, staff and the community.
- Collaborate with district level administration to integrate and implement health policies and practices with priorities of the district.
- Ensure consistent implementation of school health policies regarding immunizations, communicable diseases, medication, and emergency care of ill and injured.
- Coordinate activities of the health services program with outside agencies and members of medical and health care community to ensure that students have access to adequate health care services. Represent the district in collaborative community programs related to student health.
- Serve as permanent member of district’s school health advisory committee. Participate in the development of health education curriculum and contribute to other committees related to health and safety issues of students and staff.
- Coordinate department and district staff development, orientation, training, and certification as related to health needs of students.
- Develop and administer health services budget based on documented needs and ensure that operations are cost effective and funds are managed wisely.
- Ensure that clinic has needed healthcare supplies and resources and recommend purchase, replacement, and repair of equipment when needed.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required, including accurate, updated records of health information for all students that enrolled through enrollment center.
- Implement and comply with policies established by federal and state law, Texas Department of Health rule, State Board of Education rule, and board policy.
- Work cooperatively with principals, counselors, health service director and school nurses to facilitate services to students and families.
- Prepare, review, and revise department job descriptions.
- Plan and conduct professional development, orientation, training, and certification programs for nurses and nurse assistants and new staff.
- Supervise, evaluate, and recommend the hiring and firing of clinic staff.