Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in accounting, finance or related field.
CPA and TASBO Certification preferred
Knowledge of Texas Education Agency (TEA) Financial Accountability System Resource Guide
Knowledge of applicable State of Texas and United States government and government agency compliance requirements
Knowledge of governmental accounting and auditing principles established by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
Experience with a strong knowledge of Oracle 12 financials applications
Ability to analyze and interpret financial data, evaluate accounting problems, develop data, and recommend improved procedures
Effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Three (3) years of accounting and management experience
- Perform monthly and biweekly payroll costing. Balance and analyze prior to general ledger interface.
- Prepare and complete timely and accurate payments and forms to the Internal Revenue Service, Teacher Retirement System of Texas and other payroll related liability vendors, including quarterly 941 taxes, TRS and TRS Active Care payments.
- Review annual changes by IRS in the preparation of filing payroll quarterly tax returns. Communicate any discrepancies and issues with IRS personnel.
- Monitor and reconcile expenditures and payroll liability accounts.
- Assist in developing payroll expenditure estimates.
- Perform final review of each job requisition to ensure costing is in accordance with TEA guidelines.
- Process update of employee costing based on course master each semester.
- Ensure grant funded employees costing is accurate based on rosters submitted by grant managers.
- Perform TRS to Projects Interface monthly to cost TRS Salary and TRS Care into the project module for employees paid by federal funds.
- Review and verify accuracy of journal entries, accounting methods, and procedures including monthly TRS on behalf, TASB SUI annual payment, and monthly amortization journal entries.
- Prepare, analyze, and record year end payroll accrual, benefits accrual, and sick leave accruals.
- Work with substitute office to make sure AESOP codes are correct and updated.
- Perform payroll cost savings analysis to evaluate any proposed personnel changes.
- Process expense transfers and AP zero invoices for requested costing changes.
- Classify, record, and summarize financial data to compile and maintain financial records according to governmental accounting principles and district procedures.
- Perform cost accounting activities, bank reconciliations, and accounting for grant expenditures.
- Support campuses and departments with extra duty pay and payroll for substitutes.
- Remit escheated payroll checks to the state annually and work with payroll department to get checks reissued.
- Work with administrators, principals, directors, and staff regarding accounting issues.
Records and Reports
- Prepare timely audit schedules, financial statements, and footnotes to the financial statements according to federal, state, and GASB standards.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required, including auditable records and financial statements.
- Supervise, evaluate, and recommend the hiring and firing of payroll accounting clerk.