Administer and support all facets of transportation technology and associated matters. Under general direction, perform highly responsible, sometimes confidential and complex assignments. This position provides a wide variety of support, analysis, and recommendations to other GISD departments, including but limited to Student Services, Special Programs, Technology Data, Administrative Systems, and the GIS Department. In addition, effectively coordinate various and sometimes-difficult technical functions, performing research and compiling information from a variety of sources, including but not limited to the ability to collect and analyze data.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Systems
Proficiency with transportation routing software packages, including administrative and maintenance duties
Proficiency with transportation vehicle maintenance software packages, including administrative and maintenance duties
Proficiency with transportation field trip software packages, including administrative and maintenance duties
Extensive business knowledge of large-scale transportation operations
Ability to design/develop/implement/maintain major software components for school district applications
Working knowledge of relational database design and usage
Working knowledge of MS Access, MS SQL
Interface and integration skills with legacy systems and relational databases
Analysis and Design Concepts
Familiarity with federal, state, and district reporting requirements for transportation
Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
Must possess strong organizational skills and general clerical skills
Ability to compose routine correspondence and written materials independently
Must have attention to detail and maintain accurate records
Must be able to handle heavy workload with critical deadlines
Experience with Quality Assurance (QA) concepts
Excellent organizational, communication, team, multi-tasking, and interpersonal skills maintaining patience and courtesy
Proficient skills in operating a personal computer, utilizing Microsoft Office applications
Project management experience
Three (3) years prior experience as a programmer/technical analyst
Five (5) years or more experience working in a transportation-related field
Experience in K-12 public education
Knowledge of SQL Server Concepts and Transact SQL
Knowledge of ESRI Version 10.6, ArcGIS Pro, Arc GIS Online and accompanying technologies
- Support transportation software including routing, field trips, vehicle maintenance, and GPS.
- Develop and maintain routing solutions in support of bus operations.
- Troubleshoot and solve emergent transportation issues in a timely manner.
- Provide reports and ridership analysis and projections.
- Oversee research and updating of transportation maps as required by new construction.
- Work in a time-sensitive environment.
- Provide training and advice to transportation department staff.
- Be part of a dynamic team yet also be able to work individually.
- Communicate effectively, both written and verbal.
- Take ownership of assignments and complete them in a timely manner.
- Stay current with emerging technology and software solutions.
- Develop training options to ensure exemplary operation of transportation department.
- Serve as a liaison in maintaining good rapport with students, parents, campuses, and community to maximize service and promote a positive image that supports the mission of the school district.
- Assist in ensuring that transportation operations are supportive of the instructional goals of the district.
- Prepare various reports as required by department, district, and state.
- Compile, review, and print bus information letters for start of school and summer programs.
- Generate state-required route descriptions and maintain computerized/digital files and database.
- Assist with the development of bus routes in accordance with Texas Education Agency guidelines.
- Data creation, validation, and maintenance.
- Data conversion from other applications/systems.
- Workflow deign, scripting, and automation.
- Compile data from a wide variety of diversified sources for the purpose of preparing reports, making recommendations, and/or preparing information with both the department and other GISD departments.
- Monitor the day-to-day digital business of the transportation department.
- End user assistance.
- Communicate with district personnel regarding all questions and concerns related to routing software and transportation eligibility.
- Coordinate the use of existing and emerging technology to support and promote transportation staff.
- Train and support transportation staff as needed.
- Work with district departments to provide solutions and related information.
- Generate parent notifications using district-approved social media and district messaging system.
- Support long-range information systems plans and the evaluation of new systems and technologies.
Standard office equipment such as personal computers and peripherals; school bus operation; safety equipment; fire extinguisher; radio communication equipment
Ability to sit from prolonged periods of time, occasional bending/stooping, pushing, pulling, and twisting
Continual sitting and reaching; repetitive hand and arm motions
Occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds)
Frequent prolonged and irregular hours; work outside and inside
Maintain emotional control under stress; work with frequent interruptions