High School Diploma or GED
Possess a clear and valid Texas Bus Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsements
Satisfactory annual driver’s license and criminal history check
Successful completion of all state and local training courses
Must be at least 21 years of age
Ability to operate a school bus
Proficient skills in keyboarding, data entry, word processing and file maintenance
Ability to work under pressure and prioritize effectively while maintaining composure and responding in an appropriate manner
Effective telephone, radio and communication skills
Ability to receive and give written and verbal instructions effectively
Ability to read and understand documents including policies and procedures manuals
Ability to pass alcohol and drug tests and annual physical
Proficient map reading skills
Proficient skills in operating a personal computer utilizing Microsoft Office application.
Minimum of three (3) years’ experience as a certified school bus driver
- Assist in the supervision of bus drivers as assigned.
- Maintain personnel records of meetings with drivers to discuss rule violations and complaints.
- Conduct an annual evaluation of bus drivers’ performance.
- Prepare each bus route to ensure the written route description is functional. Prepare and update maps showing areas served by each bus.
- Request and view videos on student misbehavior on the bus.
- Notify driver, students, and parents of any changes in the student’s bus service such as change in pick-up, drop-off location and change in bus number or time.
- Receive and record driver and attendance absence calls.
- Answer, record and route internal and external telephone calls.
- Monitor and respond to two-way radio communications.
- Monitor, record and respond appropriately to emergency calls and situations.
- Record, copy, file, and distribute route information, instructions, bulletins, notices, memos, and messages to staff and drivers.
- Assist with driver in-service organization.
- Maintain records of all student discipline on assigned routes. Assist in completing reports for district and TEA filing.
- Serve as a bus substitute or dispatcher when needed.
- Maintain confidentiality of information.
- Follow all rules and directives for bus drivers when substituting on a bus route.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Supervise assigned routes and drivers.