Routing Specialist, Transportation
To ensure the safe and efficient transportation of students by analyzing, planning, and maintaining school bus routes.
High school diploma or GED
Clear and valid driver’s license with CDL certification and P and S endorsements
Satisfactory annual driver’s license and criminal history check
Successful completion of all state and local training courses
Must be at least 21 years of age
Use of map software programs
High school and/or community college courses in math, business, computer science, or engineering
Proficient map reading skills, use of map software programs, and the ability to covert map information into a sequenced array of bus stops constituting a complete route
Ability to analyze and interpret stop location data for the optimal design of school bus route flow
Synthesize routing criteria such as walk distance, hazardous obstacles, and street configuration to create safe and efficient design of bus routes
Effective communication skills (e.g., telephone, two-way radios, written, etc.)
Ability to verbally interact with staff, parents, and the public in a positive manner
Ability to work under pressure and prioritize effectively while maintaining composure and responding in a professional manner
Ability to quickly acquire knowledge of a variety of computer-based programs to achieve effective job performance
Maintain confidentiality of information
Ability to receive and give written and verbal instructions effectively
Ability to read and understand documents including policies and procedures manuals
Ability to effectively perform as a substitute driver or bus aide as needed
Proficient skills in operating a personal computer, utilizing Microsoft Office applications, Google Internet maps, and basic Internet navigation
Capable of responding in emergency situations
Minimum three (3) years’ successful experience as a certified school bus driver
One (1) year of experience in school bus routing using automated GIS, student information, and routing application software systems
- Design, develop, and maintain all routes as assigned.
- Instruct drivers on specific route details and student requirements.
- Prepare accurate bus route documentation and instructions utilizing the District’s routing system.
- Record, copy, file, and distribute route information, instructions, bulletin, notices, memos, and messages to staff and drivers as needed.
- Update route information based on stop location changes, student address changes, school bell times, and route sequence changes.
- Notify driver, students, and parents of any changes in the student’s transportation such as pick-up, drop-off location, and change in bus number or pick-up and drop-off times.
- Answer, document, and route internal and external telephone calls.
- Monitor, document, and respond appropriately to emergency calls and situations.
- Attend and assist with driver in-services as assigned.
- Assist with routing McKinney-Vento program as assigned.
- Assist in coordinating and routing after-school and summer school programs as assigned.
- Assist with student count for local and state reports.
- Provide documentation of rule violations and complaints to appropriate supervisors.
- Perform as sub driver, aide, or dispatcher as needed. Follow all rules and directives for bus drivers and aides when substituting on a route.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Attend professional development classes to develop improved skills and remain current on system enhancements.
Standard office equipment such as personal computers and peripherals; school bus operation; safety equipment; fire extinguisher; and radio communication equipment
Ability to sit for prolonged periods of time, occasional bending/stooping, pushing, pulling, and twisting
Prolonged sitting and reaching; repetitive hand and arm motions
Occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 25 pounds)
Frequent prolonged and irregular hours; rotate early and late shift work as assigned; work outside and inside with moderate exposure to extreme temperatures and weather conditions
Maintain emotional control under stress; work with frequent interruptions