Senior Construction Project Manager
Coordinate all project activities dealing with current and future Capital Improvement Plan (CIP), construction Bond Programs, the District’s Critical Facility, and Safety Project Plan and day-to-day Facilities and Maintenance Department construction and environmental projects. Oversee assigned construction activities, including but not limited to budgeting, planning, design, and ensuring that the GISD technical design guidelines are followed. Coordinate and manage all new construction and renovation projects assigned by the Administration. Ensure compliance with all planning and zoning requirements. Manage construction project managers and other GISD personnel involved in projects with the Facilities Department. Quality assurance and transition of warranties from general contractors to the GISD.
High school diploma, or equivalent with a minimum of ten years’ experience or
Bachelor’s degree in construction, architecture, or engineering related field with a minimum of five (5) years of experience
Valid Texas driver’s license with a good driving record
Ability to communicate articulately in written and verbal form
Knowledge of mechanical and electrical design and installation criteria
Proficient with computer software and tools used in the construction industry
Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Knowledge of building codes, zoning ordinances, accessibility standards, health and safety standards and regulations, and maintain practices
Understanding of the construction inspection permitting and certification processes
Adaptive to a changing work environment and able to continually improve operations
Ability to work on an as-needed basis to ensure the success of the project
Ability to work outside of the set office hours on an as-needed basis
Possess a positive customer-sensitive attitude
Ability to organize, analyze and present data
Effective planning and organizational skills
Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous construction projects
Ability to understand, review and approve construction budgets and pay applications
Minimum of five (5) or ten year experience in construction project management, capital improvement planning/forecasting, general maintenance construction management construction management, contract negotiations, contracts administration, project budget management, and procurement of construction services within a K-12 education setting
- Minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience with direct report employees or general contractor and subcontractors
- Manage and coordinate the construction activities of all contractors working for School Facilities.
- Work with the GISD Administration, Architects, Engineers, and GISD Purchasing Department to develop RFP, CSP, and RFQ specifications.
- Work collaboratively to serve as a liaison between campus principals, architects, engineers, consultants, and departments to develop, review and finalize project plans, drawings, schematics, and specifications.
- Oversee on-site inspection of construction projects to verify conformance with GISD Standards, construction documents, and programs, including but not limited to materials testing, overhead inspections, air balancing, fire inspections, and conformance to the GISD Technical Design Guidelines.
- Work collaboratively with district personnel and contractors to supervise warranty correction work, conduct walk-through inspection, and make final warranty checks before the end of warranty periods.
- Manage departmental project managers or other GISD personnel assisting with project.
- Develop and maintain construction progress schedules.
- Visit all job sites on a routine and consistent basis, including multiple or extended visits to the same site during crucial construction phases.
- Attend and participate in weekly OAC job site meetings.
- Responsible for quality control verification of construction projects.
- Expedite documentation and completion of punch list items.
- Responsible for coordinating the transition of building operations from the general contractor to GISD upon acceptance of a facility.
- Verify compliance of final closeout procedures for the general contractors, architects, and engineers.
- Comprehend and work with municipal jurisdictions for adherence to local codes and ordinances.
- Organize construction projects with the Environmental Department.
- Develop project-specific work plans and supervise various internal and externa teams.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with District and Department policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Direct report employees or general contractors and subcontractors
Standard office equipment such as personal computers and peripherals; may use small hand tools and power tools; light truck or van and construction management software for budgeting and scheduling multiple projects.
Frequent standing, kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing, pulling, and twisting; may work in tiring and uncomfortable positions
Frequent walking, climbing stairs/ladders/scaffolding; regular grasping/squeezing, writs flexion/extension, and overhead reaching; frequent driving
Occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 50 pounds)
Frequent prolonged and irregular hours, rotating early and late shift work; work outside and inside
Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress