Sheltered Instruction Specialist - Title III EC-12
Valid Texas Teacher’s Certification in Bilingual Education or
Valid Texas Teacher’s Certification with English as a Second Language Supplemental
Experience with the implementation of instructional strategies that promote and enhance the academic and linguistic achievement of English learners
Experience and knowledge of implementation of dual language, bilingual and sheltered instruction programs
Experience with implementation of LPAC requirements
Expertise in second language acquisition and culturally responsive pedagogy
Demonstrated strong organization, communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills required to achieve the goals of the position
Experience with the implementation of ELL professional development programs
Experience with providing academic and socio-emotional support to special ELL populations such as SIFE, Asylee/Refugee and Newcomers
Minimum of five (5) years of successful classroom teaching experience at the elementary level in public education at multiple grade levels
Instructional and Program Management
- Provides support for the implementation and stewardship of elementary ELL Programs, specifically Dual Language education, Bilingual education and Sheltered Instruction.
- Implements best practices related to technology use in the ELL classroom and computer labs.
- Collaborate at grade-level team/department meetings to analyze ELL assessment data, review student work, debrief classroom observations and best practices, identify student needs, and plan differentiated instruction.
- Provides support by working with teachers to plan, deliver, and analyze lessons.
- Provides instructional support to teachers, when necessary, regarding effective strategies for ELLs.
- Supports campus administration in providing professional development addressing ELL specific program requirements and course content, including ELPS, sheltered instruction and TELPAS PLDs.
- Collaborates with the principal and teachers to ensure that professional development plans and intervention services are aligned with the linguistic and academic needs of ELLs.
- Conducts demonstration lessons and facilitates classroom observations to improve instruction for ELLs.
- Assists with the coordination of the development and implementation of innovative instructional programs serving English language learners to achieve identified needs.
- Works with campuses to facilitate the use of student information and performance systems in the teaching/learning process specific to English language learners.
- Visits school sites and classrooms to assist administrators and teacher in effective implementation of sheltered instruction.
- Supports the LPAC administration in addressing instructional compliance activities, ILAP implementation and annual audits.
- Provides instructional support to schools to accelerate English language proficiency of students not demonstrating required growth as measured by TELPAS.
- Assists with the implementation of procedures to maximize English language learners’ instructional opportunities within each elementary school.
Policy, Reports and Law
- Works to ensure that schools are in compliance with federal, state and local requirements outlined in statute, education code, administrative code and policy for English language learners.
- Interprets and implements school district policies and procedures for the schools related to the implantation of ELL programs.
- Supports LPAC administrations with the preparation of federal/state/local reports accurately and timely and makes local recommendations relative to ELL programs as requested.
- Supports and follows federal, state and local rules and policies.
Budget and Inventory
- Works with teachers and technology staff in the selection of resources that are compatible with the goals of the bilingual and ESL programs and any related technological resources available.
- Provides support, encouragement, opportunities and structure for staff to continually design more effective teaching and learning experiences for all students.
- Provides timely, specific feedback to educators serving English learners that validates best practice and encourages reflection.
- Systematically and fairly recognizes and celebrates accomplishments of staff and students.
Communications and Community Relations
- Promotes and supports structures for family and community involvement across the district.
- Collaboratively establishes a culture that welcomes and honors families and community and seeks ways to engage them in student learning.
- List the positions that report directly to this position.