Special Education Accounting Assistant
High school diploma or GED
Highly effective communication skills and ability to deal with staff and public in a positive manner
Proficient in keyboarding, 10-key numerical data entry, and file maintenance
Ability to work with numbers in an accurate and rapid manner to meet established deadlines
Proficient in Microsoft office products (Excel, Word, Outlook)
Ability to organize and prioritize responsibilities and projects in order to meet timelines
Ability to handle day-to-day disruptions and requirements as necessary with a positive attitude
Ability to multi-task and handle heavy workload in fast-paced office with critical deadlines
Ability to answer multi-line phone system
Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
Knowledge of Special Education Services preferred
Computer skills including use of work processing, spreadsheet and database systems
Experience in provision of training to individuals and groups
Knowledge of school district organization, operations and administrative policies
Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
Knowledge of federal programs preferred
Five (5) years of experience in financial and procurement transactions or college work in accounting/business-related subjects
Work processing, spreadsheet, and database systems skills preferred
Customer service experience
Previous experience with insurance/Medicaid claims preferred
Experience in successful management of major projects
Experience with Oracle software applications preferred
Accounting, Bookkeeping, and Procurement
- Receive and process timely all expense transfers, sub ledger corrections and departmental billings.
- Verify all expense transfers, sub ledger corrections and departmental billings to ensure completeness and accuracy prior to payment.
- Develop procedures for the Special Education Department regarding purchasing and procurement.
- Maintain budget book and monthly billing for the Special Education Department.
- Work with Special Education department employees and campus special education personnel to provide financial training and serve as a liaison to the Business Office.
- Work cooperatively with Special Education Department to develop written technical requirements and make purchasing recommendations based on information obtained.
- Evaluate comparative prices and quotes and make purchasing recommendations based on information obtained.
- Provide written justification for supplier selection, when needed.
- Generate and maintain database of item descriptions and awarded quotes.
- Monitor contract status related to expiration and spend level.
- Compile, maintain and file reports and other documents, including auditable records. Associated with federal procurement operations.
- Ensure compliance with applicable state and federal laws and regulations governing school district purchases of goods and services.
- Monitor purchase requisitions to ensure accuracy of information, calculations and coding.
- Work with Special Education, and Purchasing Department to ensure the correct procurement processes are followed.
Records and Reports
- Assist with preparation of financial statements, income statements, and cost reports.
- Prepare and provide notices, receipts or documentation as needed.
- Ensure appropriate and complete documentation for records and reports is received in a timely manner.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents as required.
RMTS (Random Moment Time Study)
- Collaborate with billing agent to ensure RMTS is completed.
- Collaborate with billing agent to update Participant List (e.g. manage and maintain, changes from Oracle, certify Participant List each quarter).
Medicaid Eligibility Lists
- Monthly eligibility list obtained from import and update billing program and special education student management system.
- Maintain excel spreadsheets monthly to reflect Medicaid eligible students with current consent forms.
- Facilitate and provide training for staff members on the participant list.
- Attend Medicaid related training annually and provide training as needed.
- Cross check data to verify exiting students are removed from student management system.
- Reconcile invoices and submit to director for authorization to pay.
- Audit provider sessions and create Medicaid claims and count transportation one way trips.
- Compare and reconcile Medicaid numbers in the special education student management system and the district student management system.
- Identify new Medicaid eligible by running Medicaid Eligibility Administrative Report.
- Reconcile Certification of Funds letter from HSD to interim claims paid within the quarter.
- Enter/update student information in billing and special education information systems.
Additional State and Federal Requirements
- Stay well-informed of state and federal regulations related to procurement and communicate to appropriate department personnel.
- Attend required training for all State/Federal programs to earn required/current district certification.
- Reconcile weekly reports indicating reimbursements.
- Keep informed of and comply with all state district policies and regulation concerning primary job functions.
- Follow all rules, regulations and policies of Garland ISD and follow directives from superiors.
- Follow attendance policy as assigned by supervisor.
- Exert a positive influence demonstrating a “can do” attitude and promoting a collaborative work environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.