Trainee Bus Driver
Complete training to operate a school bus and related equipment to provide safe and orderly transportation of students and other authorized personnel on assigned routes to and from other designated locations.
High school diploma or GED
Clear and valid Texas Commercial Learners Permit (CLP) with P and S endorsements or the ability to obtain one
Satisfactory annual driver’s license and background check
Successful completion of all state and local training courses or ability to successfully complete all state and local training courses within six months of hire
Ability to successfully complete the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) skills and road test within six months of hire
Must be at least 21 years of age
Ability to operate a school bus
Ability to complete required bus driver safety training
Ability to manage student behavior according to district policy
Ability to verbally interact with staff, parents, and the public in a positive manner
Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately via two-way radios
Ability to pass annual and random Dept. of Transportation physical/drug and alcohol testing
Ability to read maps/interpret directions for assigned routes
Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
Ability to physically perform front and rear door bus evacuations
Ability to read and understand documents, including policies and procedure manuals
Prior experience in public school transportation
- Complete training for pre-trip and post-trip inspection.
- Complete all behind the wheel training for DPS road test.
- Complete all classroom instruction for new trainees utilizing Learning Management System (LMS).
- Complete DPS Road test to obtain CDL.
- Attend 20-hour Texas School Bus Driver Safety Training Course as assigned
- Anticipate problems such as traffic, weather, road conditions, and schedule changes and make necessary adjustments to ensure student safety and reduce delays.
- Follow assigned bus route as directed.
- Display professionalism in dealing with students, parents, staff, and community.
- Approach problem solving tactfully with directness and integrity.
- Exert a positive influence and work in harmony with associates.
- Respond to suggestions for improvement in a positive manner.
- Observe all traffic laws and safety regulations for school buses.
- Keep assigned bus clean as required
- Maintain professional appearance.
- Be mentally alert and physically able to perform all job functions.
- Report all accidents to proper authorities with required information and within the appropriate period.
- Manifest support for and compliance with the philosophy, policies, and procedures of Garland ISD.
- Follow district policies and departmental procedures pertaining to individual assignments.
- Be consistent in route departure/arrival times at designated bus stops.
- Maintain discipline and use appropriate and effective behavior management control over groups of students.
- Report student discipline problems to the appropriate administrator as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
School bus operation; safety equipment; fire extinguisher; and radio communication equipment
Ability to sit for prolonged periods of time; occasional bending/stooping, pushing, pulling, and twisting
Prolonged sitting and reaching; repetitive hand and arm motions
Occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 25 pounds)
Working outside and inside with moderate exposure to extreme temperatures (hot and cold) and weather conditions; moderate exposure to vehicle fumes; work irregular hours as needed
Maintain emotional control under stress