Video Electronics Technician
Operate a school bus and related equipment to provide safe and orderly transportation of students and other authorized personnel on assigned routes to and from other designated locations in the event of long or short-term driver vacancies and/or absences.
High school diploma or GED
Clear and valid driver’s license with CDL certification and P and S endorsements
Satisfactory annual driver’s license and criminal history check
Successful completion of all state and local training courses
Must be at least 21 years of age
Ability to operate a school bus
Ability to complete required bus driver safety training
Ability to annually complete required training for special needs transportation as assigned
Ability to work well with students with special needs
Ability to secure wheelchairs and operate wheel chair lift as trained
Ability to operate safety and adaptive equipment as trained
Ability to verbally interact with staff, parents, and the public in a positive manner
Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately via two-way radios
Ability to pass annual and random Dept. of Transportation physical/drug and alcohol testing
Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
Ability to physically perform front and rear door bus evacuations
Ability to read and understand documents, including policies and procedure manuals
Ability to accurately read maps/interpret directions for assigned route with little to no notice
Two (2) years prior experience as a certified school bus driver
Prior experience as a substitute bus driver
Three (3) years prior experience in Audio Visual
Three (3) years computer software experience
- Complete pre-trip and post trip inspection and report any mechanical failures to the service writer.
- Drive assigned route daily while adhering to established schedules.
- Anticipate problems such as traffic, weather, road conditions, and schedule changes and make necessary adjustments to ensure student safety and reduce delays.
- Follow assigned bus route as directed.
- Display professionalism in dealing with students, parents, staff, and community.
- Approach problem solving tactfully with directness and integrity.
- Exert a positive influence and work in harmony with associates.
- Respond to suggestions for improvement in a positive manner.
- Observe all traffic laws and safety regulations for school buses.
- Keep assigned bus clean as required.
- Maintain professional appearance.
- Be mentally alert and physically able to perform all job functions.
- Report all accidents & incidents to proper authorities with required information and within the appropriate time frame.
- Manifest support for and compliance with the philosophy, policies, and procedures of Garland ISD.
- Follow district policies and departmental procedures pertaining to individual assignments.
- Be consistent in route departure/arrival times at designated bus stops.
- Maintain discipline and us appropriate and effective behavior management control over groups of students and/or students with special needs as trained.
- Maintain emotional control and de-escalate problems for students with special needs as trained.
- Report student discipline problems to the appropriate administrator as required.
- Attend monthly in-service or safety meetings as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for maintenance and repair of the various video recording systems in the bus fleet.
- Maintain inventory of spare video equipment.
- Work with vendor on supplies and installation of video systems.
- Field and fill request for video from route Supervisors and other department administration.
- Maintain a current and archived collection of downloaded video clips.
- Work with Risk Management to provide research and requested documentation GPS and video data.
- Supervise and train extra duty helper in retrieving video data.
- Have share administrative responsibility for setup and maintenance of GPS software.
- Responsible for GPS hardware RMA’s and unit assignment.
- Assist with administrative responsibility for Fluid Secure fueling system software.
- Provide support for data entry clerk for Fluid Secure system.
- Manage software interface to input fuel vendor data into Fluid Secure and then to RTA.
- Provide setup and training on use of GPS software as needed.
- Fill in when needed as a route sub-driver.
- Ability to transport or retrieve fleet vehicles from offsite repair facilities as assigned.
- Assist with minor computer issues and questions in the department.
- Work with campus administration on video software issues either by phone, email, or campus visit,
- Maintain administrative responsibility for bus lot wireless network.
School bus operation; safety equipment; fire extinguisher; and radio communication equipment climbing
Ability to sit for prolonged periods of time, occasional bending/stooping, pushing, pulling, and twisting
Prolonged sitting and reaching; repetitive hand and arm motions
Occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 25 pounds)
Work outside and inside with moderate exposure to extreme temperatures (hot and cold) and weather conditions; moderate exposure to vehicle fumes; work irregular hours as needed
Maintain emotional control under stress