Transcripts and Records
Find guidelines and procedures for requesting a transcript and other student records.
You can get a record of your information from Garland ISD through the form of a transcript. Official transcripts can be used to apply for jobs and are a necessity for applying to college.
Please note that student files expire. With an enrollment of over 50,000 students, it is not practical to maintain student files indefinitely. Because of this, student records and special education service records will expire five years after a student withdraws or graduates. This includes cumulative folders, paper transcripts, and other records. However, we maintain digital files for high school transcripts of all GISD students indefinitely.
Transcript and records requests are handled by the Office of Records Management in Student Services. The office provides public information in accordance with the Texas Public Information Act (TPIA) and provides copies of student records that are not available through the student's campus.
Guidelines for requesting a transcript or records
Access to student records will be granted according to the Federal Educational Rights to Privacy Act (FERPA) and Garland ISD policies FL (Legal) and FL (Local) for student records.
Once a graduate has turned 18 years of age or is in a post-secondary setting the parent may not request records of any kind. Per federal law, a parent can only sign in place of a student if the parent brings in their most current 1040 tax form showing that the student is still a dependent for tax purposes.
NOTE - Diplomas are considered ceremonial documents, not a district record. The high school transcript, academic achievement record (AAR), is the official record of achievement and graduation.
- Requests can be submitted for transcripts, health records and proof of enrollment.
- In accordance to Texas Education Agency guidelines, certified/official transcripts cannot be given to an individual.
- Certified/official transcripts can only be sent directly from Garland ISD to an agency, business, college, or university.
- You must provide complete addresses. (This includes the name of the institution and/or person, street address or PO box, city, state, and zip Code.)
- Proper identification is required for all requests.
- A valid picture ID is required to pick up transcripts or records.
- Information on the ID presented at pick up must match the information submitted on the request form. (If you authorize someone other than yourself to pick up your records, you must provide their complete valid photo ID information on the form when you fill it out.)
- ACT/SAT scores are not included on the transcript. You will need to contact College Board or ACT to obtain your scores.
- It may take 5-7 business days to process your request.
- Requests are fulfilled in the order that they are received, with no exceptions.
How to request a transcript or recordExpand All
Records needed for DACA
If you attended or graduated from a Garland ISD school after 2020, contact the last GISD campus attended. Those records are maintained on campus.
If you attended or graduated from a Garland ISD school in 2017 or before: Complete this Google form bit.ly/RecordsGISD.
- If the student is over 18 only the student can request records, per FERPA requirements.
- Requests are processed in the order received.
- For the protection and privacy of the student, requests will not be fulfilled without proof of identity
Transcripts for current students and graduates from 1998 or later
Garland ISD has partnered with GreenLight Credentials to allow students/families to instantly and securely share academic credentials and records with educational institutions, employers, and the military. For students under the age of 18, there is a prompt included during registration to allow parental consent.
Please view the Quick Start Guide and the videos below for instructions on how to register on GreenLight.
- How GreenLight Helps Students
- For students: How to register on GreenLight
- For students: How to share your transcript using GreenLight
If you need assistance with obtaining your enrollment code, please see your campus Registrar.
If you continue to receive error messages, screenshot the error message and email it to Loree Jones-Huggins
Transcripts for former students from 1997 or before
To request/receive a transcript in person
Cost: $1 each. Cash only.
Location: 720 Stadium Drive, Garland TX 75042
- Monday-Thursday 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Fridays 8 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
A mailed transcript - Official or Unofficial
For a transcript in a sealed envelope, complete the form linked below, print and then mail it in with payment. The address and payment information is on the form.
Request Mailed and Sealed Transcript
- GISD is not equipped to accept electronic payments at this time.
- Transcripts cannot be emailed.
- Transcripts cannot be faxed.
Emailed PDF transcripts to college only
- No other digital format is available
- IF you have verified and were provided an email address from the college you may use the link below.
Request PDF Transcript for College Enrollment
- Transcripts are processed from the completed Google form.
- Transcripts will not be sent to a personal email address.
- Allow 3 -5 business days for processing an emailed transcript to a college.
GED diplomas are granted by the State of Texas, not Garland ISD. Because of this, the methods of requesting transcripts outlined above do not apply to GED transcripts. Please request your GED by going through the state processes.
Verification of Education
Education Verifications for investigative inquiries
- All questions and requests must be via email or fax ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS.
- Education Verification requests for current students should be sent to the school where the student is attending.
- Education Verifications requests for former students should be sent by fax with a signed release from the student, authorizing the release of "education" or "school" records. Fax: 972-494-8275
Share records with GreenLight
GreenLight allows for academic records to be shared and accessed securely, instantly, anytime and anywhere. This can be used to provide student records for:
- student transfers
- undergraduate and graduate admissions
- military enrollment
- job applications
Students can sign up at greenlightlocker.com/register. Parents of students under 18 can learn how to sign up on our Academic counseling page.