What is Section 504?

Section 504 is a federal civil rights law that focuses on the non-discrimination of students with disabilities. The law says that a public school, or any other federally funded public facility, cannot discriminate against a student because of a disability and students must be given the same opportunities to participate in academic and extracurricular activities.

On this page

    Is my child eligible?

    A student is eligible for Section 504 accommodations if they “have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, has a record of disability or is regarded as such”.

    • Physical or mental impairment includes:
      • any physiological disorder or condition, cosmetic disfigurement, or anatomical loss affecting one or more of the following body systems: neurological; musculoskeletal; special sense organs; respiratory, including speech organs; cardiovascular; reproductive; digestive; genito-urinary; hemic and lymphatic; skin; and endocrine.
      • any mental or psychological disorder, such as mental retardation, organic brain syndrome, emotional or mental illness, and specific learning disabilities.
    • Major life activities impacted include:
      • caring for one's self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, working, eating, sleeping, standing, lifting, bending, reading, concentrating, thinking and communicating.
    • Major body functions are also considered major life activities, these include:
      • the functions of the immune system, normal cell growth, digestive, bowel, bladder, neurological, brain, respiratory, circulatory, endocrine and reproductive functions.

    Do you know a child who might need services?

    Any adult can request a Section 504 evaluation for individuals with suspected disabilities (birth through age 21) through the Child Find initiative.  Parents, doctors, child care providers, friends and relatives can contact the school counselor or educational diagnostician to begin the review process.

    Learn more on the Child Find page

    What to expect from the Section 504 process

    phone iconRequest

    Contact your child's Campus Section 504 Advisor to request a Section 504 evaluation.

    sign Section 504 evaluation logoSign

    Sign consent to begin the evaluation process to determine your child's eligibility for Section 504 services.

    cog iconProvide

    Provide medical information, if you have it, and any observations about your child that may help to determine their eligibility.

    meeting for Section 504 evaluation iconParticipate

    Participate in the Section 504 initial meeting to discuss your child's eligibility and, if appropriate, develop a Section 504 plan.

    receive Section 504 plan iconReceive

    Receive a copy of your child's Section 504 Plan, your parental rights, and information on your child's progress with their new accommodations.

    magnifying glass iconReview

    Review your child's plan through an annual Section 504 meeting to consider continued eligibility or to make changes as needed.


    Retention of records

    The District must provide the parent of a student with a disability the opportunity to examine all records relating to the student as described in the Section 504 Parent Rights, unless the District has been provided with evidence that there is a court order, state statute, or legally binding document relating to such matters as guardianship, divorce, separation, or custody that specifically revoked these rights.

    In addition, the District shall comply with the parent’s or adult student’s rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), including the parent’s right to inspect and review the student’s education records maintained by the school, the right to request that a school correct records that are inaccurate or misleading, and rights related to the disclosure of records.

    Local Schedule SD requires the District to retain the records of each student referred to or receiving services under Section 504 for at least five (5) years following the cessation of Section 504 services.

    Section 504 resources

    Expand All

    Contact us

    For information and help with Section 504, contact your child's Campus Section 504 Advisor.
    Find additional contact details and further information: