We believe that every employee can be a leader, no matter their role. The GISD Leadership Definition provides a common understanding of the leadership qualities we value. It is a framework that outlines desired behaviors for leaders at every level. The definition serves as the foundation for alignment throughout the system and:
- provides a clear/concise understanding of how leaders are identified and selected
- drives growth based on career goals, feedback and coaching aligned to the definition
- includes meaningful professional learning linked to system-wide development needs
This shared definition allows us to seek out and highlight individuals who exemplify and model what leading looks like for the entire GISD community.
On this page
GISD's Leadership Definition
- Foster ownership: Takes responsibility for growth in self
- Pursue continuous growth: Seeks out and incorporates feedback into one's practice, models being a learner and continuously seeks to grow & improve
- Empower others: Distributes leadership, giving people the opportunity to impact growth
- Take Initiative: Anticipates and solves problems proactively, with resilience
- Seek Innovation and Change: Actively embraces new ideas and creative solutions; leads others through change
- Celebrate Achievement: Recognizes and celebrates others for achievements; uses recognition to reinforce positive efforts
Striving for excellence
- Focus on Student Success: Takes personal accountability for student outcomes and advancing student success
- Project Positive Presence: Exhibits poise, confidence, loyalty and integrity in all interactions
- Live the Vision: Understands that "We are all Garland ISD" - every individual's actions contribute to reaching the future by driving excellence, one student at a time
- Embrace Diversity: Values and celebrates all cultures; fosters an inclusive environment for all, honoring backgrounds and identities
- Communicate Effectively: Communicates clearly, proactively and transparently with all stakeholders
- Act with Compassion: Shows empathy and care for all stakeholders, upholding high expectations for self, students and staff
The GISD Leadership Definition was created using a multi-input process with a diverse range of voices. The process took approximately four months to complete and included input from over 125 students, parents, teachers, principals, APs, central office staff and leaders across the district. It was essential to district leaders that the leadership definition reflected the culture, values, and mission of Garland ISD.
Role-specific behaviors are designed to identify how the GISD Leadership Definition behaviors are reflected in our daily work, task and responsibilities.
How do I lead in my role?
How can I grow as a leader?
We've collected a variety of self-study resources based on the leadership definition. These are available to everyone to expand their skills. We also provide leadership development programs for qualified applicants interested in leadership opportunities.
District and Campus Leadership Programs
District Leadership Program
Campus Leadership Program
Individual/Aspiring Leadership Programs
Future Principal Institute
Aspiring Administrators Academy
Mentorship Program for Principals
UNT Partnership for Aspiring Principals
Our leadership journey
See the slideshow below for key moments in the development of the leadership definition and our partnership with Holdsworth.