The Student Leadership magnet program in middle school offers a focus on building leadership skills. Students will participate in a leadership class in 8th grade and will have built a strong foundation on community, state, country and global leadership by the time they leave middle school. With high expectations of decorum, integrity and challenging academics, students will be prepared for endless possibilities. Skills learned in the Student Leadership middle school program will assist students when they transfer to high school.
The following are innovative aspects of this program:
- Leadership development through community service activities and participation in Student Council, Leadership Ambassadors and Athletics Mentoring Program
- Magnet cohort classes with real-world collaborative learning opportunities
- Eighth grade leadership elective course that earns high school credit
- Participation in the AVID program
- 50th percentile on reading and math achievement tests
- pass STAAR
- passing grades in core subjects
- no serious discipline issues
Qualifying students are entered into a lottery, and openings are filled in the order in which they are drawn. Qualifying incoming sixth graders from the Montessori magnet program at Herfurth and Luna may choose to continue to Student Leadership at Sellers, and they are automatically accepted before the lottery process. Students in good standing from the Leadership program at Sellers are automatically accepted into the Global Business, Language and Leadership (GBL) program at Naaman Forest High School.